Control panel for software projects management office (PMO)
Implementation of a control panel for a software PMO, which allows to monitor and control projects performance, as well as resources management, budget and quality of the work delivered.
The PMO needs to have a clear and comprehensive view of the software projects status in order to make informed decisions and improve their efficiency. For this, it is necessary to have a tool that allows to collect, process and visualize project information in a centralized and easy-to-understand way.
The challenge to face is a dashboard creation that integrates information from the different software projects managed by the PMO. Specifically, we must consider aspects such as:
• Monitoring of the milestones and deliverables of each project.
• Measurement of progress and performance of each project.
• Control of the budget assigned to each project.
• Management of resources assigned to each project.
• Identification of possible problems and risks in the projects.
• Measurement of the work quality delivered in each project.
• Identification of deviations from the objectives established in each project.
A dashboard solution that integrates information from the software projects managed by the PMO, allowing a global and detailed view of their status.
The solution consists of implementing a dashboard in DOMO data visualization tool. This dashboard must integrate information from the different software projects managed by the PMO, allowing monitoring of performance, budget and quality of work delivered in each of them.
For this, the following aspects should be considered:
• Milestones and deliverables: visualization of the milestones and deliverables of each project, allowing to see their compliance status and detect possible deviations.
• Progress and performance: measurement of the progress and performance of each project, through indicators such as the % progress or the number of tasks completed.
• Budget: control of the budget assigned to each project, allowing to visualize its evolution and detect possible deviations.
• Resources: management of the resources assigned to each project, allowing to see their availability and assignment.
• Problems and risks: identification of possible problems and risks in the projects, through indicators such as the number of problems detected or the risk level of each project.
• Quality: measurement of the quality of the work delivered in each project, through indicators such as the number of incidents or the level of customer satisfaction.
• Deviations: identification of deviations from the objectives established in each project, allowing the detection of possible problems and taking measures to correct them.
Our PMO's experience in software project management, combined with the data visualization module built into DOMO, has been key in the project development.
Panel Data Science Methodology
POINTS OF INTEREST
This Dashboard implementation allowed the PMO greater visibility of the software projects progress and an improvement in decision-making for project portfolio management.
Examples of KPIs used:
- Project budget vs. real expenses.
- Estimated project completion time vs. real completion time.
- Number of defects found in the project.
- Level of customer satisfaction with the project.
- Percentage of milestones reached in the project.
- Development team productivity.
- Percentage of projects delivered within the budget and deadline established.
- Efficiency ratio in the management of the resources assigned to the project.
- Total project cost.
- Level of satisfaction of the project team with the process and the tools used.