We form part of the value
chain of large companies and institutions. Our clients consider us an ally
to drive their business.
FEGA: Automation platform through Continuous Integration
Automation platform Implementation using the Jenkins Continuous integration server for the compilation, construction, publication and deployment of the FEGA projects.
FEGA Spanish Agrarian Guarantee Fund
TYPE OF PROJECT:
DevOps – Continuous Integration
Jenkins | Apache Maven | Nexus | Sonarqube
Agile methodologies involving the development team
Multidisciplinary team of Panel’s SQA & ecoLogical Software Manufacturing Center in Madrid
FOCUS OF INTEREST:
DevOps best practices
Demanding TTM (Time to Market)
Integration with an own ecosystem
FEGA requested the PANEL Expert Team collaboration in order to improve the evolution processes of its SIGA tool, with a very complex version policy, derived from the coexistence between a centralized version and several particularized versions for certain autonomous communities.
In particular, FEGA required the creation of the necessary infrastructure and procedures to automate the software deployment processes, with two main objectives:
- Implement an automation platform using the Jenkins Continuous Integration Server (IC) for the compilation, construction, publication and deployment of projects related to SIGA.
- Dispose a control panel to visualize the status of these automatic processes
Once in production, SIGA’s automation platform would allow FEGA to reduce put into production times for each release, homogenize its construction and deployment, and, through the automation of the deployments, improve the quality of its software process in general.
OUR VALUE PROPOSAL
The Panel Expert Team not only designed and implemented the requested automation platform, also carried out an intense communicative and formative work with the development teams, achieving improvements in the planning, coding, testing and delivery of software. Panel intervention allowed FEGA to establish an Automation Culture in all teams, minimizing resistance to change and using the continuous improvement based on several lines of work:
- Apply early definition.
- Secure communication spaces
- Clearly establish automation priorities.
- Define execution policies.
- Determine the reference indicators.
- Implement information Radiators.
The most significant achievements in this project have been:
- Platform Start in time and agreed deadlines.
- After the implementation and training phase, most of the tasks are automatic and orchestrated by the Jenkins tool, minimizing the cost and the number of the manual tasks errors.
- FEGA is able to guarantee the security that the artifacts deployed in their environments correspond to the existing source code in the development repository, since they are automatically generated from it.
- The deployment in the servers of each environment is automatic, minimizing time and errors.
- Any problem in the construction or deployment is detected and reported immediately and automatically in the appropriate tools for analysis and resolution.
- There are defined coding, construction and deployment standards and these, as far as possible, can be verified automatically, providing a control panel to the people in charge of FEGA about the quality of the applications.
- All teams share a Culture of Atomatic Quality.